Tuesday, July 28, 2009

"Take nothing for your journey...

neither a staff, not a bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not even have two tunics apiece. Whatever house you enter, stay there until you leave that city. And as for those who do not receive you, as you go out from that city, shake the dust off your feet as a testimony to them." Luke 9:3-5
This is what Jesus said to his disciples when he sent them out to proclaim the Kingdom of God and to perform healing. I listened to a sermon by Matt Chandler today about this chapter, and he was talking from Jesus's perspective - Here are the rules I'm sending you out to cast out demons, and heal diseases, and proclaim the Kingdom, but you can't bring anything with you, no snack, cell phone nothing with you. And he was saying how if a town is not receiving you, I'm guessing you're not getting a sandwich from them, or a place to stay, and with no extra blanket, or jacket, etc. I want you to have the faith to leave everything behind and do the Lord's will. I feel like this move is a huge step of faith, lots of uncertainties and me not being in control of everything which is a very good, but scary thing. I told Katy a couple months ago, that I felt like we needed to get ready and start living like we could drop everything and go in a moments notice; and here the time has come. I have been looking towards missions aviation for about four years now since I finished up college and God really moved in my life towards His purposes. I have been actively considering going to school for maintenance for about two years, and being heavily involved in trying to do it here in Birmingham, for about a year. Now the time has come, and I don't want to put my hand to the plow and look back.

Katy and I are well on our way to making our move to Greensboro, NC so that I can attend aircraft maintenance school. Some things to report, and to praise God for, I have been accepted to the school, and I am able to pay in-state tuition which is extremely reasonable for a program like this one. We are still in the works with our apartment here in Birmingham, but we've had some people come look at it, and we had one guy come today who took an application. Please pray that He will be the one to take our apartment or that God will send another. We are planning for a yard sale this weekend and need to pray for clear skies and lots of attendance.

School starts August 17th for me, and I have two weeks left working in Birmingham. Please pray for jobs for Katy and some work for me that I can do outside of class hours. Something on my mind tonight was to pray for other missionary aviation students in my class this Fall that I can connect with and share interests with, and even non-believers that are there for a regular career path that I can show them what is on my heart and why I am in maintenance school. I also pray for a Church family for Katy and I, and for friends that we can grow with in Christ, hopefully a cool young married couples group like we have here in Birmingham. We had bible study tonight at Branch Life Church, and I learned to pray expectantly, God will work through our prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment